Thursday, May 24, 2012

Letters From Boot Camp - Vol. 3

Yes, I know, it's been a couple of years since my last post.  I have a renewed interest in sharing my memories.  As I read these letters, I try to remember what was going through my mind at the time of composing.  Some are self-explanatory, others just require imagination.

May 26, 1991

Hey everybody!

How is everything?  It's hot here.  I spent all yesterday morning in tents.  Today I went to church. It was neat. Tuesday we meet our regular drill instructor. A Senior DI told us it would be hard or miserably hard. I prefer the former.

May 27, 1991

Hello again,

Time ran out so I'll finish this tonight. Tomorrow is the big day. Our DI. The next month is the hardest part. It is Phase I. It includes physical tests, tests on military history and courtesy, and drill. The older recruits who have already gone through it said that if we get through that the toughest is over.

How's the weather at home?  As you may have already guessed, there's no news, no radio, no nothing.  A girl drove past our platoon last week. We smelled her perfume from at least 20 ft., OUTSIDE!  I finally got to change my utilities (blouse and trousers) today.  We all were wearing our same outfits since Thursday. P.U!  The food is OK and I'm getting enough sleep. We get up early and go to bed early so we get our 8 hrs. sleep. The gist is over tomorrow. We'll probably start PT (physical training) and running sometime soon. Time seems to be flying fast. As the meals pass and nights, too, every tomorrow is one step sooner to being graduation. That date should be, or so everybody says, Aug. 16. I can't wait.

Bradley, what's up with you and your "woman"?  How's school?  Write me a letter and tell me about everything. I'm interested.

Hey Daddy, How's the wine?  Is it ready? I'll be ready when I get back, believe me!

Momma, How's work?  Tell all the relatives I said "Hey!" and I look forward to seeing them when I get home.

Don't forget, tell Pa I said "Hey" too. If there's an emergency and you need to contact me, call the local American Red Cross and tell them the problem or emergency and they will relay it to me. DON'T try to contact me here!

I better go now. I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Take care.

Love,
Patrick


No comments:

Post a Comment